British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who was diagnosed with coronavirus on March 26, is in intensive care in a London hospital after his condition worsened on Monday evening.
Foreign secretary Dominic Raab will be leading the UK government response to the coronavirus while Johnson is in hospital.
In Europe, there are indications that the pace of infections in hard-hit Spain and Italy is slowing, although the death toll continues to rise.
In the United States, the outbreak is still growing with the death toll at least 10,000 and more than 366,000 confirmed cases.
Globally, the number of people diagnosed with the virus now exceeds 1.3 million. More than 74,500 people have died while more than 276,515 have recovered, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.
I’m Kate Mayberry in Kuala Lumpur with Al Jazeera’s continuing coverage of the coronavirus pandemic.
Here are the latest updates:
Tuesday, April 7
23:30 GMT (Monday) – Save the Children launches $100m appeal
Save the Children has launched a $100m appeal – its biggest ever – to help children and their families in some of the world’s most fragile nations during the coronavirus pandemic.
“The pandemic is now spreading across the world’s poorest countries further crippling health systems where children are already missing out on life-saving treatment for malaria, pneumonia and malnutrition,” Save the Children’s Chief Executive Inger Ashing said in a statement. “It will leave many children without caregivers, out of school and in danger. We only have a matter of weeks to take swift action that will determine how many lives we can save.”
Save the Children estimates about 1.5 billion children around the world are out of school, which in poorer nations could increase the risk of them being forced into work or marriage, it said.
23:45 GMT Monday – UN Security Council to hold first coronavirus talks on Thursday
The UN Security Council is expected to hold its first meeting on the coronavirus pandemic on Thursday, diplomats have told AFP news agency.
“Meeting confirmed for Thursday,” one diplomat told AFP news agency on condition of anonymity. It was to be held behind closed doors at 3pm (19:00 GMT).
Nine of the 10 non-permanent members formally requested a meeting with a presentation by Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, last week.
Last week, the UN General Assembly adopted by consensus a resolution calling for “international cooperation” and “multilateralism” in the fight against COVID-19 – the first text to come out of the world body since the outbreak began.
You can find all the updates from yesterday (April 6) here.
Al Jazeera and news agencies
Advertise With Us
To make Advert inquiries or place an order, please contact us at [email protected] or 08073063036 and we’ll reply to you with our Ad rates and other necessary information.