Connect with us

WORLD NEWS

Knife Attack at Chinese Elementary School Leaves Two Children Dead

Published

on

BEIJING — A man wielding a knife killed two students and injured two others at an elementary school in central China on Wednesday, according to the local authorities.

The attack occurred early Wednesday morning at Baijiaping Township Wanquan Elementary School in Ningyuan County, Hunan Province. A brief statement issued by Ningyuan County on its official WeChat social media account said that the two injured students had been taken to a hospital. Reached by telephone, an official surnamed Feng at the public security bureau of Ningyuan County said the injured students were in stable condition but declined to offer more details.

The statement said that the suspect, a 31-year-old man surnamed Zheng, had been taken into police custody. Officials offered no details on the motivation behind the attack. The incident is still under investigation.

Videos circulating online showed a large crowd of anxious adults carrying umbrellas gathered outside the school gates.

Some users on Sina Weibo, a Chinese social media platform similar to Twitter, reacted to the news of the attack in Hunan on Wednesday by calling for the death penalty for the attacker. Others expressed disappointment that after so many years, the problem of school attacks had not yet been resolved.

“When I was in elementary school, there were many attacks like this,” one user said. “Schools organized drills and hired many security guards with anti-riot gear to guard the gates.”

“It’s hard to believe that now I’m about to graduate from college and humans are still doing the same thing, even though the era has changed,” the user added.



Source

GCFRNG is an online website that brings to readers and viewers incisive, thought-provoking and professionally balanced news bordering on everyday national, regional and global events.